NewsTax tip- Employ your family

Tax tips - Employ your family

You could hire/employ a member of our family who earns nothing else to work in your family business, saving significant amount of tax for the family as a whole. 

To prevent an HMRC attack, care must be taken to ensure that the arrangements are commercial and that the level of payment is appropriate for the work performed.

Although the National Minimum Wage legislation does not apply to directions unless they have a contract of employment, it must still be taken into account.

Working example:

Johan’s wife Kelly has no income but spends a considerable amount of time answering the telephone in John’s home office and dealing with emails and correspondence. She also has the task of keeping track of the accounts, for which she is not paid.

By paying her salary, he can reduce his own exposure to higher rate tax and utilise her personal allowance and, depending on the level of salary, her basic rate band, and reward her for the efforts she puts in on behalf of the business.

For example, assuming that Kelly has no other income, paying a salary equal to her personal allowance of £12,570 and reducing the salary paid to John (a higher rate taxpayer) by the same amount will save tax of £5,028 (£12,570 @ 40%). This simple strategy can save several thousand pounds in tax along the way.


Tax tip- Employ your family
Tax tip- Employ your family

Our service to you

If you are a self employed, business owner/director of company looking to get your accountancy and taxation matters sorted, look no further. We, at Naail & Co, are pro-active and easily accessible accountants and tax advisors, who will not only ensure that all your filing obligations are up to date with Companies House and HMRC, but also you do not pay a penny more in taxes than you have to. We work on a fixed fee basis and provide same day response to all your phone and email enquiries. We will also allocate a designated accounts manager who would have better understanding of your and business financial and taxation affairs. Book a free consultation call using the link below.


Get in touch

Book a free call at time of your convenience

Subscribe to our newsletter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment