Fraud: Convictions & sentences - September 2022
Table of Contents
Takeaway owner spared jail for £50k VAT fraud
– A takeaway owner based in Knaresborough has been spared jail after admitting to a £50,000 VAT fraud, which spanned more than three years
– The Business was deregistered from VAT in 2015 after claiming that the takeaway was under the income threshold for paying the VAT.
– An investigation, aided by two delivery firms suggested that the takeaway’s turnover was way over the threshold.
Director banned over £200k covid loan abuse
– A company director overstated turnover for his 4 companies to secure £200,000 in Bounce Back loans to pay off a personal loan
– The director has been disqualified for 11 years after he took taxpayers’ money that his companies were not entitled to
– One of the four companies was listed as dormant with Companies House by January 2020
Retailer banned over £45k bounce back loan fraud
– A balloon and gifts retailer has been disqualified for nine years after taking a £45,000 bounce back loan she was not entitled to
– was a maximum of £1,300. This meant that the company was not entitled to even the minimum bounce back loan of £2,000
– The company entered into creditors voluntary liquidation in July 2021, which triggered an investigation by the Insolvency Service.
Company director sentenced to 100 hours of unpaid community work
– The director of a roofing company has been sentenced to 100 hours of unpaid community work after failing to maintain company accounts and owing £85,000 to HMRC
– He was sentenced to a 12-month community order at Gloucester Crown Court
Five directors banned over £198k bounce back loan fraud
– In the drive to catch bounce back loan fraudsters, bankruptcy restrictions totalling 48 years have been given to five individuals who took £198,894 in Covid-19 financial support
– In each of the five cases, the bounce back loans were either wrongfully obtained through overstating their businesses turnover, or on behalf of a company that had already ceased trading prior to the pandemic.
A Leamington Spa man banned from acting as director
– He secured a £50,000 bounce back loan for his business in June 2020 despite it having never traded
– He falsely told the bank his turnover was £200,000, in order to secure the maximum £50,000 available under the scheme.
Our service to you
If you are a self employed, business owner/director of company looking to get your accountancy and taxation matters sorted, look no further. We, at Naail & Co, are pro-active and easily accessible accountants and tax advisors, who will not only ensure that all your filing obligations are up to date with Companies House and HMRC, but also you do not pay a penny more in taxes than you have to. We work on a fixed fee basis and provide same day response to all your phone and email enquiries. We will also allocate a designated accounts manager who would have better understanding of your and business financial and taxation affairs. Book a free consultation call using the link below.
Get further information from the following pages;
Get further information from the following blogs;
Fraud: Convictions & sentences December 2021
Fraud: Convictions & sentences 30 September 2021
Fraud: Convictions & sentences 31 August 2021
Fruad: Convictions & sentences 1 August 2021
Fruad: Convictions & sentences July 2021
DROP US A LINE
020 3333 3000
MAIN OFFICE LOCATION
69-71 Lambeth Walk London SE11 6DX
Subscribe to our newsletter
Monday – Friday
- 9:00 am – 5:30 pm